I'm a clinical psychology scientist-practitioner in-training. My research aims to fuse the fields of clinical neuropsychology, mental health and degenerative disease epidemiology, and environmental quality and natural resource conservation.
I'm a current graduate student in Duke's Department of Psychology & Neuroscience and a former study coordinator for Columbia University's Taub Institute for Research on Alzheimer's Disease and the Aging Brain. Before Duke I worked at the intersection of environmental stewardship and public health as an environmental policy researcher at the Yale Center for Environmental Law & Policy, an environmental policy intern at the White House Council on Environmental Quality, and a science communicator and advocate at the International Union for the Conservation of Nature.
Below is a selection of my academic work in various disciplines.
Neuroscience, Psychology & Health
Neuroscience, Psychology & Health
- Reuben, A., Caspi, A., Belsky, D.W., Broadbent, J., Harrington, H., Sugden, K., Houts, R.M., Ramrakha, S., Poulton, R., and Moffitt, T.E. (2017). Association of Childhood Blood Lead Levels With Cognitive Function and Socioeconomic Status at Age 38 Years and With IQ Change and Socioeconomic Mobility Between Childhood and Adulthood. Journal of the American Medical Association, 2017;317(12):1244-1251.
- Reuben, A., Moffitt, T.E., Caspi, A., Belsky, D., Harrington, H., Schroeder, F., Ramrakha, S. Poulton, R., Danese, A. (2016). Lest we forget: Comparing retrospective and prospective assessments of adverse childhood experiences in the prediction of adult health. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 57(10):1103–1112.
- Stern, Y., Rakitin, B.C., Habeck, C., Gazes, Y., Steffener, J., Kumar, A., Reuben, A. (2012). Task difficulty modulates young-old differences in network expression. Brain Research, 1435: 130-45.
- Reuben, A., Brickman, A., Muraskin, J., and Stern, Y. (2011). Hippocampal atrophy relates to fluid intelligence decline in the elderly. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 17: 56-61.
- Steffener, J., Reuben, A., and Stern, Y. (2011). Supporting performance in the face of age-related neural changes: testing mechanistic roles of cognitive reserve. Brain Imaging and Behavior, 5(3): 212-221.
- Siedlecki, K. Stern, Y., Sacco, R. Elkind, Reuben, A., and M. Wright, C. (2010). Construct validity of Cognitive Reserve in a multi-ethnic cohort: the Northern Manhattan Study. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 5: 558-569.
- Hsu, A., Reuben, A., Shindell, D., Sherbinin, A., Levy, M. (2013). Towards the Next Generation of Air Quality Monitoring Indicators. Atmospheric Environment, 80: 561-570.
- Delach, A., Richie, L., Chan, C., Reuben, A., Rai, Y., and Elspeth, W. (2012). Harnessing Nature: The Ecosystem Approach to Climate Change Preparedness. Defenders of Wildlife: Washington, D.C.
- de Sherbinin, A., Reuben, A., Levy, M., & Johnson, L. (2012). Indicators in Practice: How Environmental Indicators are Being Used in Policy and Management Contexts. CIESIN, Columbia University and YCELP, Yale University: Palisades, NY and New Haven, CT.
- (Contributing Author). (2012). What Do Healthy Rural Economies Look Like - And How Can The Land Conservation Community Help? Report of the 2012 Berkley Workshop on the Future of Conservation, July 2012.
- (Contributing Author). (2011, December 9). Tuvalu: An Assessment of Vulnerability & Development. Submission to the Committee for Development Policy, 17th Congress of the Parties to the UNFCCC: Durban, South Africa.
- Reuben, A. & Tyrrell, M. (2010). Tax Policies and Family Forest Owners. Yale Forest Forum Review, 12(2). Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies: New Haven, Connecticut.
- Role of measurement in predicting poor health sequelae of childhood adversity – The Reversibility Network meeting at the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD. November 1-2, 2016.
- The Linkage Between The Energy-Food-Water Nexus and Ecosystems - ACES: A Community on Ecosystem Services meeting. Washington, DC. 11 December, 2014.
- Decision-Support Tools for Investing in Natural Infrastructure - World Business Council on Sustainable Development meeting. Washington, D.C. 26 September, 2014.
- Worldwide Trends in the Environment: Implications for Human Disease and Disaster Relief - Presentation to AmeriCares Emergency Response & Global Health team. 27 September, 2012.
- The Real Impact of Durban: Unpacking the 17th Conference of the Parties to the UNFCCC - Presentation at the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies. New Haven, CT. 27 February, 2011.
- Ecosystem-Based Adaptation to Climate Change: Recommendations for Non-Conservation Federal Agencies - Presentation to Defenders of Wildlife. Washington, D.C. 20 April 20, 2010.